3 April 2011

Carnegie Shortlist 2011

The CILIP Carnegie shortlist has just been announced which is always rather exciting in the UK children's book world. Last year, the award was won by Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book which I thought was spectacular. The award is shadowed by reading groups across the country and the winner is chosen by childrens librarians. The 2011 shortlist is as follows:

  • Prisoner of the Inquisition by Theresa Breslin
  • The Death Defying Pepper Roux by Geraldine McCaughrean
  • Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
  • The Bride's Farewell by Meg Rosoff
  • White Crow by Marcus Sedgwick
  • Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace
All in all, a good shortlist. I was particularly excited to see Marcus Sedgwick and Patrick Ness on the shortlist as they are both visiting my school in May so I have inadvertently managed to book two Carnegie shortlisted authors which is pretty good going. 

There has been a bit of criticism for Ness' nomination purely because it is the third book in a trilogy which means that it doesn't stand alone well and children will have to read the whole trilogy in order to understand it. I haven't read it yet but I'm sure it won't have been shortlisted without it being brilliant. The only one I have read so far is White Crow, which I reviewed earlier this year but I am a big fan of Meg Rosoff and The Bride's Farewell is in my pile of books to read. I'm sure you will see reviews of all of these books in the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment