31 March 2012

Carnegie Shortlist 2012


On Tuesday, the 2012 Carnegie shortlist (and the Kate Greenaway shortlist for illustration) was announced. The Carnegie is pretty much the most prestigious award for children's fiction in the UK so it's always exciting to see who is on the shortlist. I'm going to be shadowing this with my students in the run up to the announcement of the winner in June. The shortlist is:
- My Name is Mina David Almond
- Small Change for Stuart Lissa Evans
- The Midnight Zoo Sonya Hartnett
- Everybody Jam Ali Lewis
- Trash Andy Mulligan
- A Monster Calls Patrick Ness (My review)
- My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece Annabel Pitcher (My review)
- Between Shades of Grey Ruta Sepetys


I adored A Monster Calls and really liked My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece a lot (also, I've been lucky enough to meet both of the authors and they are both lovely). They are both super popular with my students as well. I think that Small Change for Stuart looks really quirky and interesting, I love the hardback cover (not pictured here) and whilst it probably has the lowest reading age, I am looking forward to this one the most from those I haven't already read. I don't know much about The Midnight Zoo and Everybody Jam so will hold off on those for now. Trash and Between Shades of Grey are both heavy-hitters, about a boy who scavenges from rubbish dumps and a Lithuanian girl sent to a prison camp respectively. I'm not generally a fan of David Almond but will be giving this a go as I will read the whole shortlist but I'm not a big fan of Skellig. I'll be reading them all over the next few months, interspersed with other reading, and posting reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment