19 August 2012

My Favourite Characters

I am so very behind in my book reviews, or indeed posting anything, so to kick everything off again I'm writing a non-review post about my favourite book characters, which was suggested by one of my students and I think is an excellent idea. I really struggled to get it into a Top 5 for YA and adult,so there is a list of honourable mentions at the bottom, and I'm pretty sure I've missed some obvious ones too. I would love to see who your favourites are as well...





Young Adult

5. Cassandra Mortmain

(I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith)

I just discovered Cassandra a few weeks ago and fell for her, funny and quirky and I think probably fairly universally appealing to any UK girls. I reviewed the book just below this post.

4. Mina McKee

(My Name is Mina by David Almond)

I was unprepared for how much I adored this book, which was mainly because of the determined, independent Mina. I completely fell in love with her and her inspiring and uplifting take on the world. I reviewed the book here.

3. Hazel Grace Lancaster

(The Fault in our Stars by John Green)

Oh my goodness me, how I loved Hazel. I loved this whole book so very very much and Hazel is funny, intelligent and inspiring. The way that she deals with her illness is brave and heartbreaking and her romance with Gus (who very nearly made it onto this list) is wonderful. My review of the book is here.

2. Momo 

(The Grey Gentlemen by Michael Ende)

I'm not even sure what genre this book qualifies as, but it is one of my childhood favourites. It's a super whimsical story with some pretty dark undertones and sinister villains but Momo is an incredible heroine, I wanted to be her when I was a child.

1. Matilda Wormwood

(Matilda by Roald Dahl)

 Who else could my all time favourite be but Matilda in all her book-loving, library-loving self. Anyone who loves books and stories as much as I do is always going to win with me (although it's a bit of theme generally as Cassandra, Mina, Hazel and Momo all love books and stories - I'm so predictable).

Honourable mentions: Georgia Nicholson from the Louise Rennison series, Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockinbird by Harper Lee and Liesl Meminger from The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. 

Adult

5. Pak Jun Do 

(The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson)

I really loved this debut novel by Adam Johnson and a big reason for that was the main character who is noble, brave and yet endearing and also kind of jawdroppingly romantic. I reviewed the book here.

4. Eli Sisters

(The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt)

This is a bit of funny one as Eli is in fact an assassin but the first person narrative that Patrick DeWitt builds just makes Eli into a super endearing and clever character. His perspective is darkly funny and I could have read books and books more of Eli. I reviewed this whilst I was reading last years Man Booker shortlist here.

3. Franny Glass

(Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger)

I loved Franny a lot when I first read Franny and Zooey as she is intelligent and independent and booky but my love was compounded when she featured in The Heroines by Eileen Favorite, which I would really recommend to other Franny fans. 

2. Thursday Next

(The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde)

I adore this series of books for a multitude of reasons, of which one is the superb Thursday Next. She first appeared in The Eyre Affair and the series is now onto its seventh. Thursday is intelligent, sarcastic and brave and the books are about her adventures in the Book World. My review of the seventh book will be up soon, I reviewed the sixth in the series here. 

1. Henry DeTamble

(The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger)

Henry was my first literary crush. He was my password on my laptop whilst I was 18 (he is not my password on anything now before anyone tries hacking into anything). He is tall, dark and quirkily handsome (Adrien Brody in my mind). He is a librarian. He is in love with a redhead. The book is in my top five (probably top two) in all its wonderful, romantic, literary loveliness.

Honourable mentions: Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinder, Clare Abshire from The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, Death from the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, Unnamed woman from Incendiary by Chris Cleave, Celia and Marco from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Stevens from The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.




No comments:

Post a Comment