12 March 2013

Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Shortlists

The shortlists for the Carnegie and Kate Greenaway shortlists have just been announced! The shortlist for the Carnegie award is:

- The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan
- A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle
- Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner
- In Darkness by Nick Lake
- Wonder by R. J. Palacio
- Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
- A Boy and a Bear in a Boat by Dave Shelton
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Whilst my personal preference would have David Almond there my Top 6 predictions are all there which makes me a pretty happy librarian and I can't help but feel a little proud my predictions were right :) The two I haven't read are A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle and A Boy and a Bear and a Boat by Dave Shelton. Boy Bear Boat really appealed to me but unfortunately I couldn't get an ecopy to read whilst I'm in Asia and am going to have to get one of my friends who is visiting in a few weeks to bring a copy out for me. I've heard very mixed things about Greyhound so will be interested to read it.


Of the six I have read I think that the three edging ahead of the others for me are Midwinterblood, Maggot Moon and Code Name Verity but as I said I loved all six that I have already read. I'm planning to reread Midwinterblood as well as I read it when it first came out a year ago. In terms of the winner, my gut reaction would be that it's between Maggot Moon and Midwinterblood but I may change my mind!

The Kate Greenaway shortlist was also announced, I'm going to be reading this for the first time this year but my knowledge of illustrated books and their audience is much more limited so I'll be going more on sheer enjoyment. The shortlist is:

- Lunchtime by Rebecca Cobb
- Again! by Emily Gravett
- Oh No, George! by Chris Haughton
- I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
- Pirates 'n' Pistols by Chris Mould
- King Jack and the Dragon by Helen Oxenbury and Peter Bently
- Black Dog by Levi Pinfold
- Just Ducks! by Salvatore Rubbino and Nicola Davies

The only one of these I have read is I Want My Hat Back which I loved so I am looking forward to reading the rest of the shortlist.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful shortlist this year and you were so spot on! A Boy and A Bear in a Boat is gorgeous and clever. I'm delighted with the list. Greyhound I wasn't keen on. Midwinterblood's my next read.

    ReplyDelete